Saturday, January 15, 2011

*Recipe Review* - Breakfast Sandwich on the go!


As a commuter I am always looking for easy, yummy and MOST IMPORTANTLY portable  breakfast that aren't killer in points to eat on the Ferry en route to work. I  have always been so intimidated by the "egg cup" idea but after a long message  board thread last night with a million egg ideas I decided to grab the bull by  the horns and try it. So my first egg sandwich went a little something like this:  1 Pepperidge Farm Whole Grain White Deli flat (3pts) 1 egg (2 pts) 1 egg white (0pts) I laughing cow cheese (1 pt) 2 Tb chopped onion and green pepper (0 pts)  Spray inside of small ramekin with Pam cooking spray Crack egg and egg white into Ramekin Add peppers and onions, scramble Add laughing cow cheese in small pieces
Microwave one minute while toasting flatbread 
Voila! Assemble sandwich!  Ok now for the review portion of the show: My first comment is how surprised I am at A) how much the egg fluffs up to be (I  expected a hockey puck tiny thing like you get on Mcdonald's egg mcmuffins) and  B) how light and fluffy the eggs were - NOT rubbery and greasy like I  anticipated!  The sandwich (once assembled) was wrapped up tight in some Reynolds wrap and eaten  about 30 minutes later and while the bread got soft (expected, oh well)  everything was still pretty warm and good looking. After sprinkling some salt  and pepper I chowed down and it was ....... AWESOME. The veggies were crunchy  and the patches of cheese were smooth and creamy, the whole thing was scarffed  in under 5 minutes and was just the right size, If not bigger than I needed. I  usually eat small breakfasts like yogurt, fruit or a small cup of oatmeal for  under 5 points and while this was slightly more it was totally worth it!! Now my  head it brimming with what else I can put in with the eggs - like salsa and cheddar or mozzarella And basil, ham and cheese - the possibilities are endless. 
I have officially been converted and am now on the egg cup bandwagon - thank you boardies for 
helping me see the light!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment