Sunday, January 10, 2010

My Forays into the Unknown

Since I started my WLJ in August I have never really hit the gym. I am notorious for starting something and then dropping it within a few days. I downloaded the C25K app onto my phone - then ran twice. Downloaded and printed all the info I needed for the "100 pushups" program - and never even started! I even bought a 10 class card at my local yoga center (Over 100 dollars!) - and only went a handful of times...my lonely card is still sitting there in the filing cabinet unstamped. = (

So for my 2010 resolution I am all about sticking with it! Finding workouts that interest me and doing them, consistently, because I don't care how many cupcakes I pass up, my tummy needs toning.

My first thought was to check out the Jukari Fit to Fly class - a half trapeze half cardio class that was featured in multiple mags "Best of 2009 fitness" features but it seems there are so many strings attached! Of course with a class that seems that fun it is only available to celebs or those willing to pay hand over fist for it. With help from some fellow WWers we found the class is available at Equinox on 19th street over by Union Square, but you need to have a membership to partake. I'm in the works of getting a guest pass deal going on, but had to start looking elsewhere for a fun, similar workout when I remembered seeing an ad for a similar style class meshed with yoga - so I went on the hunt.

Meet AntiGravity Yoga!

I found AntiGravity Yoga at a studio on 37th street and decided to check it out last Tuesday. Since I am not even a ProGravity (?) Yoga expert I decided to go to the Restorative (read "gentle") class to keep it pretty light, the last thing I wanted was to go to a packed class and be the silly beginner who falls backwards out of the hammock. The website boasted that the classes fill up quickly so I was happy that I could probably grab a hammock in the back of the class and follow along with the group but when I got to the studio I was half mortified to find out that I was one of only TWO students for the class! My plan to hide and follow was thwarted! The Instructor, Emilia, spotted me for a newbie immediately and was very helpful and patient in getting me acclimated to the hammock, which is initially more scary than it seems!

This picture above is more what their regular classes are like, the gentle was a bit of elevated hammock work and then lowering the hammock down to assist with floor work, like elevating the hips in bridge pose, etc. Then more elevated work where we flipped upside down and dangled, like in a playground = ). By the end of the class I didn't feel like I had gotten an intense workout, more like gentle stretching and meditation. However, Emilia mentioned that the night classes really get a sweat going (which I can totally imagine, as regular Yoga does and this would probably kick my ass). I left feeling good, albeit a little down about my physique but it only inspired me to keep working at it ( so one day I might have the hot "yoga bods" like Emilia and the other girl in the class.)

I think perhaps I'll check out a night class where I feel like I'll probably get more of a bang for my buck but it ended up being nice to get the personal attention, which I probably needed. = )

In case you want to check out an AntiGravity Yoga class here's the link for where I went:
www.OMFactory.com

1 comment:

  1. That class looks awesome!! I am from Queens but living in the albany area right now. I have a feeling that 2010 is your year!

    ReplyDelete